by Texas Stready
This social media thing is killing me. They say I need a “following” if I ever hope to get my message out there.
A following? Sounds like some Charles Manson or Jim Jones type stuff.
Not my thing.
To tell you the truth the entire ministry dealio can sneak up and choke the breath out of you.
If you let it.
This statement seems true with most things we find ourselves involved in. Whether it all comes together or all falls apart, hinges on what we make off-limits.
Is this possible?
Well, let’s take a look at it.
Dog Eat Dog
Most of what comes barking at you each day is completely out of your control.
But that doesn’t mean you have to be out-of-control.
- Something you desperately need’s on sale…but you still can’t afford it.
- The boss decides he needs you…after your vacation plans are booked.
- Negative feedback often helps…but that last comment just hurts.
What a pain.
But even when it seems you have no options—you have options.
It’s up to you to take control of what you can control.
Your actions and reactions.
No Pain, No Gain
I don’t care how whacked out you feel in the moment, there’s always a split-second for decision making. And gaining control over your decisions may seem like a pain in the ass, but the alternative is much worse than a hemorrhoid.
Take it from a bona fide wackadoo—it’s true. 🙂
Here are 3 ways to control your pain in the ass.
- Remember who you are —You’re a freedom fighter. Some have definitely survived more than others, but all of us have made it through a tremendous amount of heart ache and hardship. Remember how you swore you’d never live through that last crisis? But, you fought till you found freedom. Right? Ok then.
- Remember where you’ve been—No matter what situation you’re facing today, you’ve been through worse. And if this feels like the worst, be warned, it could be worse. You’ve come a long way baby—and you’re not done yet. Don’t stop now or you’ll forfeit the win.
- Remember where you’re headed—No dreams or plans? No wonder your achy backside has your attention. I’m not speaking of some far-fetched fairy tale, I’m talking simple hopes for something better. At first it may be something like a more organized living space. Start small and grow with it. Before you know it, you’ll outgrow your best expectations.
You Have Options
Boundaries are everything—with self as well as others.
So put some in place with your actions and reactions.
- Think the whole situation through, giving yourself permission to have any reaction you choose. (I’ve found if I make things off-limits too quickly it funks up my ability to choose well.)
- Consider what your action or reaction will produce. (This makes it very simple to say to yourself, “Okay, I can do this. But that—that’s off limits.”)
Doing these things has helped me walk into a totally new space of uninterrupted freedom.
Freedom to love. Freedom to laugh.
Freedom to be plain ol’ me.
Now I’m unaffected by what others consider to be a pain in the ass. I can use social media, instead of being used by it. #ForeverFree